Paulding County, Ohio
201 East Caroline Street, Suite 2
Paulding, Ohio 45879
Judge Suzanne Shuman Rister
Angel Pease, Clerk


Expungement is the sealing of a criminal record so it is not publicly available. The statutes authorizing expungement are Ohio Revised Code sections 2953.32 & 2953.52. This area of the law changes often, and it is recommended that you consider consulting an attorney to help you with the expungement process.

If you wish to file an expungement, you may download the application form from this site or obtain one from the court. The application must be notarized and filed with the court along with a non-refundable $50.00 filing fee. Once the application is filed, the matter is set for a hearing at which time the judge will grant the expungement if everything is in order. Once the expungement order has been signed, the court seals its record and will also send a copy of the order to any other agency that had knowledge of the charge so that their record will also be sealed.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why get an expungement?
A: There are several very good reasons to seek to expunge a criminal record. When you apply for some jobs, licenses and apartments they will look at your criminal record. If you have a conviction on your record, it is unlikely that you will be chosen for the job, given the apartment to rent, or allowed to get a license. When you appear as a witness in court, you may be asked about your past criminal record. If you have a conviction, your testimony may be questioned or disregarded.
If your record is expunged, nothing will show up when your record is checked. After expungement is finished, when asked about your past criminal record, you can honestly say that you have none. You can act as if the arrest and conviction never took place.
Q: Who can have their conviction sealed?
A: A first time offender - meaning you cannot have more than one criminal offense on your record. If there were two or more convictions based on the same action, you may have both convictions sealed. For instance, if you were convicted of shoplifting and resisting arrest as a result of the shoplifting you can get both records sealed. However, if the cases originated on different days and from different events, neither may be expunged. In addition, you cannot have current criminal charges pending against you, or have had a conviction previously expunged. If you were charged and not convicted, you can have the records of your charges sealed.
Q: How long must I wait to apply for an expungement?
A: If your crime was a misdemeanor, you must wait one year after your final discharge from probation.
Q: What if you were found not guilty?
A: You may apply immediately.
Q: What if the charges against you were dismissed?
A: You must wait two years to apply.
Q: Are there misdemeanor convictions which cannot be expunged?
A: Yes. The following cases are not eligible to be expunged:
  • sexual imposition
  • obscenity involving a minor
  • all driver's license violations
  • traffic violations (like OVI and moving violations)
  • bail forfeitures in traffic cases
  • misdeameanors of the first degree where the victim is under 18
Copyright © 2003-2019 Paulding County Court
Privacy Policy - Return Policy
Site designed by Henschen & Associates, Inc.

Payment Center

Online payments for waiver tickets are available or pay your ticket at the Court during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-4:30 pm)
Personal checks are not accepted

Mastercard accepted Visa accepted

Local Court Rules

The Rules of Court can be viewed online or downloaded to your computer.

Please note: The Rules of Court are in PDF format and require the free Adobe Reader for viewing.

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday
Lobby: 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Phones: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Closed weekends and legal holidays

Contact Information

201 East Caroline Street, Suite 2
Paulding, OH, 45879

Phone: (419) 399-5370
Fax: (419) 399-3421
Victim Assistance: (419) 399-4476

Probation Department

201 East Caroline Street, Suite 3
Paulding, OH, 45879

Phone: (419) 399-3016
Fax: (419) 399-4541